Bernard Clement wrote:
rsynch will do the job correctly only and only if the mysql server on both sides are not running. Rsynch does not deal with files opened for writing and my guess is that MySQL is opening the database (i.e. files) for writing.

It will work without stopping mysql server if you make sure that all data in memory are flushed to disc and mysql server does not modify these files while you read them.
This can be done with:
FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK

NB: I assume that you run mysql server on main server only (not on backup server). If you have mysql server on both systems you can also
use mysql built-in replication : set your main server as master and
the backup server as a slave.

As for LVM (AKA Logical Volume Manager) I really do not see how it could be used to take a snapshot in MySQL. However, I could be wrong here.

MySQL manual describes how to make a snapshot with Veritas filesystem (vxfs). I am sure that it could be done in the same way with LVM (but I haven't tried it myself): "If you are using a Veritas filesystem, you can do:

   1. From a client (or Perl), execute: FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK.
   2. From another shell, execute: mount vxfs snapshot.
   3. From the first client, execute: UNLOCK TABLES.
   4. Copy files from snapshot.
   5. Unmount snapshot. "
(from : http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Backup.html)

Bernard