I think this is more what you are looking for

UPDATE shpr_rcvr SET directions = REPLACE(directions,'#','No. ' where
directions = '#';

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Reina [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 5:26 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: unique problem?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>UPDATE shpr_rcvr SET directions = 'No. ' where directions = '#';
>
>That should do it :)

Thanks for the responce however it does not work.  Nothing gets change
probably becasue no directions columns are  ='#' there are just a lot of
them with '#' in the field among many characters.  If it did change
something I fear it would change all of the text in the columns to 'No.'
which would send me into a rage.  If I am missing something please let
me know.  And if anyone else might know how I can solve this dilema, I
would appreciate the input.