Thanks for the reply.

gcc and g++ are both version 2.95.3

I've tried installing three different binaries, one from the mysql site
and
two different versions from the Bull site. All failed with different
problems
on this machine so I tired them all on a different model machine, but
running the
same version of AIX. They failed with the same problems. So, I figured
I'd try
building it for the specific machine ....

On Saturday, January 5, 2002, at 08:44 AM, Sinisa Milivojevic wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>> ##   After building mysql and installing the GRANT tables I start the
>> daemon
>> ##   and then try to run the mysql client to alter the GRANT tables to a
>> ##   useful configuration. Subcommands like connect and use seem to work
>> ##   ok, but if I try entering anything else, even a single character,
>> I get
>> ##   a core dump. Following is screen output from a session run via gdb:
>>
>> watts:/usr/local/mysql/bin $ gdb mysql
>> GNU gdb 5.0
>> Copyright 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>> (gdb) run -uroot -p mysql
>> Starting program: /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -uroot -p mysql
>> Enter password:
>> Reading table information for completion of table and column names
>> You can turn off this feature to get a quicker startup with -A
>>
> [skip]
>
> Hi!
>

> Problems that you are experiencing are most likely a consequence of
> the bad build.
>
> First CXX should be gcc with 2.95.*. Second, your CPU type might be
> wrong. You could leave up to GCC to discover a proper CPU type that
> you have.
>
> You would be better if you could find a binary for your OS / CPU.
>
> Other possible cause is misconfiguration of AIX. Either due to TCP/IP,
> running of file descriptors, sockets etc ...
>
> --
> Regards,
>    __  ___     ___ ____  __
>   /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Mr. Sinisa Milivojevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   MySQL AB, Fulltime Developer
>        <___/   www.mysql.com

Bill Kurland
Shakespeare & Co.
138 Watts Street