From: Matthew Darcy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 07 January 2002 12:59
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Password reset.

I just installed mysql under my new linux system.

I did a test command of

./mysqladmin -u root password new-password

thus setting the root users password to "new-password"

this appeared to work.

I now want to change the root users password now that I have the syntax
correct.

I do a

./mysqladmin -u root -p password test1

this should set the password to test1 correct ?

I get this error

./mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'

can anyone explain why this is happening so that I can better understand how
this command is working.

Thanks,

Matt.