Jeremy,

Apart from this perl of wisdom, how about defining two columns: one a 'temporary' text
field and the other the
'real date column - as proposed, and importing the date-data into MySQL in the
temporary-text field (and leaving
the other/real one empty). Then copy the data out of the temporary column, use MySQL's
functions to extract and
re-concatenate the components into the MySQL sequence, and update the record's
real/date column. Once all this
is done (and checked - a step which might be harder in the Perl-driven solution) the
temporary/construction
date-data column can be dropped.

Regards,
=dn