I've been experimenting with Apache, mod_perl, the DBI module, and mySQL
3.23.42 on a Mac OS X server 10.1. Everything is working pretty well at
this point and I'm able to serve dynamic webpages very smoothly.

The only fly in the ointment is that, although I can manually start mySQL
with the safe_mysqld script without any problem, I've been unable to figure
out how to make that script automatically start mySQL when the system
reboots.

The Mac OS and its BSD Unix underpinnings seem to have no rc.local file,
but various start-up scripts are stashed away in sub-directories in
System/Library/StartUpItems.

I tried putting this into the mySQL directory under
System/Library/StartUpItems:

#!/bin/sh

##
# Start /usr/bin/safe_mysqld
##

. /etc/rc.common

if [ -x /usr/bin/safe_mysqld ]; then

    /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &

fi

And I used this as the StartupParameters.plist (although it was mostly
guesswork):

{
  Description     = "safe_mysqld";
  Provides        = ("mySQL");
  OrderPreference = "None";
  Messages =
  {
    start = "Starting mySQL";
    stop  = "Stopping mySQL";
  };
}

No go. Ownership and permissions don't seem to be a problem. The path to
safe_mysqld appears to be right. I might just be overlooking it, but I
can't find any startup errors logged. In any event, mySQL is not
automatically starting when the system boots.

Can anyone offer advice? Thanks.