Trond Eivind Glomsrød wrote:

>Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>>We are running MySQL version 3.23.43 on one of our servers and have some
>>stability
>>

>Where did you get that? The MySQL site?
>
>>Some info about the system:
>>      Dell PowerEdge 8450
>>      4 x Xeon 700
>>      4GB of RAM
>>      Intel GBit ethernet connection
>>
>>Software:
>>      Base RedHat 7.2 installation
>>      Unpatched kernel 2.4.17
>>

>2.4.17 has problems with heavy database usage. Does this happen on the
>supported kernels as well? (I'm guessing yes, this doesn't seem to
>have anything to do with the kernel... you might want to check if
>anything suspicious show up in "dmesg", though)

I run RH supported kernel 2.4.7-10enterprise on such a server with
similar problems. All four CPU's runs off with a lot off system. I can
provoke this behaviour by generating disk i/o. A 'cp' might be it. I
often get it when the full backup is running. I've also tested 2.4.9-13
with even worse result. I previously used the 2.4.8 vanilla kernel whith
good results. I was planning to test 2.4.17 next week but now i don't
 know...

I use MySql 4.01