Two quick qux for the gurus on the list!

1. If I needed to do date calculations based upon a TIME STAMP field, what's
the most efficient way to accomplish this with respect to data types (field
types...I already understand how to use the DATE functions and am aware of
locale time and UNIX time trappings)?  For example, someone signs up on a
mailing list via mysql data base, and then I want to know how many people
have signed up in Jan, 2001 or March, 1999 or Jan, 2002?  OR, another
example, someone signs up and I want to calculate 4 ninety day cycles with a
reminder sixty days from sign up, so that if I signed up on Jan 1, 2002 then
on Mar 1, 2002, I'd like to send notification that their account needs
maintenance by April 1, 2002...kinda like a billing system.

2. I need some pointers on when to decide to create a relational database.
Let's assume I have a data base of companies with CONAME, COADDRES, COCITY,
etc. as field names...standard information. However, the total number of
fields is 40.  At what point should I decide to create a relational database
of a CONAMES database with a COADDRESS database?  I guess more concisely
put, at what point do queries slow down relative to record size and field
type.

I use latest MYSQL/PHP/APACHE on FBSD-4.4-RELEASE.

Thank you so much for your time!

~rob