I've had no problems with MySQL RAID, and the performance is excellent
as long as you have your indices set up properly. One caveat I might add
is that MySQL RAID does not apply to index files (.MYI). If your index
files are going to grow > 4 GB, you'll need to consider alternate
filesystems anyway.

For your reference, I'm running v3.23.42. My database has one primary
MERGE table which collates the data from 12 month-specific tables. Each
of those month-specific tables uses MySQL RAID with the following

MAX_ROWS=2000000000 PACK_KEYS=1 RAID_TYPE=striped RAID_CHUNKS=32
RAID_CHUNKSIZE=256000

There are currently over 42 million entries in the MERGE table,
occupying over 54 GB of disk. There are also various smaller lookup
tables, etc.

--
coop