I installed the binary rpm version of MySQL 3.23.47  yesterday and set
up the necessary permissions.  This is a single user computer, not on a
network, so I'm both 'root' and 'user'.

Today I tried to start working on the tutorial in the manual and found
that I couldn't create a database and couldn't log in to MySQL as
'root'.  I can get into MySQL as 'user', but can't create or access any
databases; this last is understandable as the database has to be created
as 'root'.

My quick solution to the problem was to uninstall the rpm and then
reinstall it, the problem is that there are apparently files still in my
system that didn't go away during the uninstall and I'm right back where
I started from.

What files do I have to delete to make a fresh install?  Or, is there
another way around the problem?

TIA

Rich
--