I'm new to the list, to mysql and to dynamic website programming. I'm not
new to programming, had my nose in Access97 for the last few years, off and
on. So I'm used to being coddled with sql and can't find a syntax that
works for this situation:

(I'm using phpMyAdmin to work with the database and test the queries. The
server is remote.)

3 tables: Persons, QualityA, QualityB

Table Persons contains integer foreign keys for the other two tables.

I need a query that "for a certain Person in table Persons, returns
QualityA.Name and QualityB.Name.

If I use:
SELECT A.Name, B.Name, P.ID
FROM Persons P, QualityA A, QualityB B
WHERE P.ID = thatGuy, P.A_ID = A.A_ID, P.B_ID = B.B_ID;

I get strange results

Name            Name            ID
"B Quality"     "B Quality"        thatGuy

instead of

Name            Name            ID
"A Quality"     "B Quality"     thatGuy

To be specific, for the A.Name column of the results, I get the correct
value for the B.Name; for the B.Name column, I get the same value, but it
replaces the space char in the value with " " ?!

I've tried many different combinations, but either get similar weird
results or error messages.
If I throw out the QualityB table, I can get it to work...

SELECT A.Name, P.ID
FROM Persons P, QualityA A
WHERE P.ID = thatGuy, P.A_ID = A.A_ID;

Name            ID
"A Quality"     thatGuy

Note: I use e-mail on a different machine/platform than I use for the
dynamic website programming, so I'm writing from memory, using different
identifiers for this posting than the actual ones used in my database.

I have limited time to work on this project and will greatly appreciate a
hand getting over this wall. I've searched for hours on the net, and tried
the IRC channels, but everything is written for one or two table queries.

James Birkholz
Admin of Posen-L mailing list & website