* =James Birkholz=
> In a message dated 1/12/02 10:48:45 AM Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> ---snip---
> << SELECT A.Name, B.Name, P.ID
>    FROM Persons P
>    LEFT JOIN QualityA A USING(A_ID)
>    LEFT JOIN QualityB B USING(B_ID)
>    WHERE P.ID = thatGuy; >>
> ---snip---
>
> That doesn't work, get an error as it tries to find B_ID in the A table.

Sorry, my bad. USING() depends on the table immediately preceeding it.  Try
this:

SELECT A.Name, B.Name, P.ID
  FROM Persons P
  LEFT JOIN QualityA A ON A.A_ID=P.A_ID
  LEFT JOIN QualityB B ON B.B_ID=P.B_ID
  WHERE P.ID = 1;

> I tried swapping the partners on the first LEFT JOIN...
>
> SELECT A.Name, B.Name, P.ID
>    FROM    QualityA A
>    LEFT JOIN Persons P USING(A_ID)
>    LEFT JOIN QualityB B USING(B_ID)
>    WHERE P.ID = thatGuy
>
> but that gives me more strange results
> (using my example IDs:)
>
> Name                  Name            Researcher
> "A Quality"   "AQuality"              thatGuy
> "B Quality"   "B&nbsp;Quality"        thatGuy

If the above does not help, post the output of "desc Persons", "desc
QualityA", "desc QualityB" and "select * ..." from the same three tables.

--
Roger