Hi!

Unfortunately, I get too many e-mails to handle help requests
which are sent directly to me.

If you have purchased MySQL support, you may write to
[EMAIL PROTECTED], and will get an answer quickly.  If you
would like to purchase support, please see the Support
section of our web site:

    http://www.mysql.com/support/

If you do not want to purchase support, please send e-mail
to the appropriate mailing list.  We host several mailing
lists related to MySQL:

    http://www.mysql.com/documentation/lists.html

When you post your question, be sure to follow these hints
about how to ask effective questions:

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/commented/manual.php?section=Asking_questions

On Jan 11, ICCFX wrote:
> Hello Sergei,
>
> I know I shouldn't be mailing directly to you, but there is only one thing
> in the whole SQL-world that I am fighting with....

you should be writing to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I am trying out this FULLTEXT search, and it's real good!
> But there is one thing that I still can't find...
>
> How can you search for words, containing non-alpha characters?
> e.g.
>
> $result = mysql("db","SELECT *, MATCH title,body AGAINST ('song.mp3') AS
> score FROM table WHERE MATCH (title,body) AGAINST ('$song.mp3')");
>
> It ignores the '.' :(  (or a minus sign, which is real text sometimes)
>
> Am I looking over something...?
> Can you please help me out?
>
> Many thanks
> Frederic

MySQL splits words on non-alpha chars before putting them into index.
so, you have two possibilities

  1) make '-' and '.' legal word char - you have to alter ft_parser.c,
     word_char macro.
  2) search like this
     MATCH (title,body) AGAINST ('$song') AND
     CONCAT(title,' ',body) LIKE '$song.mp3')

Regards,
Sergei

--
MySQL Development Team