in specific reference to linux, you are speaking of the 2.4 kernel, glibc
2.2, and ext{2,3} filesystem? is it the case that large files are correctly
addressed (ie, seamlessly) on such systems? this is the impression i have
got from the limited research i've done.

looking for a generalized solution,

aaron.

so said [EMAIL PROTECTED] in 2.0K bytes at Sun, Jan 13, 2002:

> The size limitation is becauseof the operating system parameters.  In
> order to use tables larger then 3 GB, use either Redhat 7.2 or Solaris 8.
> These operating systems allow file sizes greater then 2 GB.  For the most
> part I achievedtables sizes using these operating system of greater the 50
> GB.
>
> Benjamin Arai
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Demirchyan Oganes-AOD098 wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >
> > I guess I have the similar question, that has been brought up.
> >
> > I have 36 InnoDB tables, and I have allocated two 2GB partitions for my data.
> >
> > Provided I have very big hard drive, how many partitions at 2GB each could I
>allocate?  As many as my hard drive can handle?
> >
> > I also have questions with regards, to a table size.  In my case it will be
>(4GB)/36 bytes per table?  Is it distributed uniformly, or some tables can grow
>bigger on the expense of the others (if some only have limited data, and others keep
>having new data inserted into them).
> >
> > Sincerely,
> >
> > Oganes Demirchyan
> > Motorola Life Science
> > 757 S.Raymond
> > Pasadena, CA  91105
> > Tel: 626-584-5900
> > email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

              |   Aaron Brick                 (415) 206 - 4685   |
              |   [EMAIL PROTECTED]         Room 3501C, SFGH   |

                  Programmer Analyst, Functional Genomics Core
                   Sandler Center for Basic Research in Asthma
                   Lung Biology Center, Department of Medicine
                                San Francisco General Hospital
                       University of California, San Francisco