On Friday 18 January 2002 17:30, you wrote:

> > We've requested a database from different companies, and specifically
> > said we wanted MySQL or PostgreSQL because of the open source angle
> > and we're a library.
> > One company offered MS SQL as the platform and said that they can later
> > on port it to MySQL. For this they wanted 18 000 euro. Now, what I want
> > to know is, how easy is it to port a (fairly complicated) database from
> > MS SQL to MySQL? It can't be work worth 18 000 euro, now can it?

> 2) If you want MySQL or PostgreSQL, why exactly would you want to install
> MSSQL, and then "upgrade" later? Both PostgreSQL and MySQL will run on
> Windows (although again, I'm not sure why you would want to do that if you
> have a choice).

That's the point. I have no idea whatsoever as to why this company wants
to FIRST do the database on MS SQL and THEN port it to MySQL. Unless they've
got an ready made database that they think will fit our needs and then after
a while port that to MySQL. But concidering the number of planning and
workhours they put in to the offer, it really can't be true, because other
companies had the same amount (or less) work hours for making it directly
MySQL.

Cheers,
Markus

--