> Porting a DB takes more 'than a couple of hours'.  What about the written
> procedures, the security mappings, the back up and recovery procs, the
> fallback arrangements, the testing etc.

Yes, porting a database that was written for MSSQL with no intention of
porting can be a painful proposition.  However, if you have control over
how the system is developed, you can easily design the system to be
compatible with EITHER MSSQL or MySQL (the differeces are
well-documented).  If you develop your system with porting in mind (ie the
original post of "they'll develop in SQLServer and port it to MySQL
later") porting should not take more than a couple of hours.  You simply
choose appropriate datatypes and don't use MSSQL-specific extensions...