> > We've requested a database from different companies, and specifically
> > said we wanted MySQL or PostgreSQL because of the open source angle
> > and we're a library.
> > One company offered MS SQL as the platform and said that they can later on
> > port it to MySQL. For this they wanted 18 000 euro. Now, what I want to
> know
> > is, how easy is it to port a (fairly complicated) database from MS SQL to
> > MySQL? It can't be work worth 18 000 euro, now can it?

Looking at it strictly from your point of view, I can think of only
two reasons to accept the bid.

1) The price is so much lower than any other bid that it is worth
   the aggravation of installing the system and going through the
   shake-down period, and then re-installing a different version
   of the system and going through another shake-down period.
2) You need the system NOW, and the bidder has an SQL Server system
   already developed that will fit your needs and can be installed
   immediately.

It doesn't sound like either of these two conditions describe your
situation.

Bob Hall