Bob Hall wrote:

>>>We've requested a database from different companies, and specifically
>>>said we wanted MySQL or PostgreSQL because of the open source angle
>>>and we're a library.
>>>One company offered MS SQL as the platform and said that they can later on
>>>port it to MySQL. For this they wanted 18 000 euro. Now, what I want to
>>>knowis, how easy is it to port a (fairly complicated) database from MS SQL to
>>>MySQL? It can't be work worth 18 000 euro, now can it?
>>>

> Looking at it strictly from your point of view, I can think of only
> two reasons to accept the bid.

There may or may not be good reasons for the amount bid (quite independent
of whether it's worth it):

If the current implementation uses a lot of MSSQL-specific features, it may
be quite a chore to port it to MySQL. It would be even more of a chore if
you would like the product to keep using whatever advanced features it uses
in MSSQL, but also keep working with MySQL (i.e. no code fork).
--
Shankar.