On Friday 25 January 2002 10:35, Hery Yulianto wrote:
> Hi Brothers or Sisters,
> I need to know, how to configure MySQL can be support unicode like  Chinese
> (simplified and Traditional), Croation,Chezh or whatever.
>
> I using PHP programming and needed can transaction with Chinese character.
>

> Thank you for explain to me
>
> Best Regard,
> Hery

Well, I'm not a mysql maintainer, bus AFAIK mysql has no unicode support. But
if you agree to the idea to store unicode characters in latin-1 encoding, you
can also store them into mysql. The point is, that due to the "wrong"
encoding, you cannot "really" sort the data by using ORDER BY in your select
query. The chars in the appropriate language might be sorted differently like
they are in unicode.

I'm not sure if you need to escape the chars first, before putting them into
the tables. I didn't encounter any problems yet, but maybe someone else can
answer this point.

But if that doesn't matter, you can use a charset converter to convert from
the original charset (big5, gb, latin-1, etc.) into utf-8 and then store the
output into mysql tables.
I for my case use a debian linux system and have the 'recode' program to
convert between the charsets. Version 3.6 works pretty well for that.
If you need some hints how to write a php site to handle this kind of stuff
correctly, you can contact me.

Cheers
Arne