In the last episode (Jan 25), Michael Collins said:
> At 11:32 AM -0600 1/25/02, Dan Nelson wrote:
> >Why would the MySQL TODO mention an MS SQL feature? :)
>
> Because the MySQL team wants to add a feature that is found in
> another DBMS?

According to the Mysql manual, the bit type was added in 3.21.12.

> >OK, so it's actually a synonym for tinyint(1).
>
> I could not find a reference to the synonym in the MySQL
> documentation (in the data type section).

Under Column Types (http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/o/Column_types.html):

`BIT' `BOOL' `CHAR'
     These three are synonyms for `CHAR(1)'.

> Question remains, can one effectively index tinyint(1)?

You didn't read the message you replied to :)

> > mysql> create table test ( myfield bit primary key );
> > Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)
> >
> > mysql> desc test;
> > +---------+------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
> > | Field   | Type       | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
> > | myfield | tinyint(1) |      | PRI | 0       |       |
> > 1 row in set (0.88 sec)

Note the describe command shows the field type as tinyint(1), and there
is a primary key on the column.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]