Hi, I was wondering if any of you clever people out there can help me. I
have a client with a problem I'm sure some of you have fixed in the past ...

Client has 3 geographically separate sites, running same application (mine,
of course) and generating data on MySQL database.
Periodically (probably nightly), we want to push changes occurring on each
database into each of other 2 sites. Data volumes are low-ish (est max 5Meg
per database absolute worst case). Line cost is minimal (ADSL), and comms
issues I can work out just fine.

This strikes me as a version of the multi-mysql-database replication
pattern, though sort of slow. Is replication setup acceptable, or are the
downtimes where databases are separate an issue, and is this using a
sledgehammer to crack a nut?

The alternative that occurs to me (though it is a bit if a pain) is to
change my code slightly so each DB update query is written to a transaction
log at each site, and then manually apply each of these logs to the other 2
databases. I can do this fine, but it seems a bit, well, crude. Plus the
overhead of protecting the logs, and of clearing them on successful completion.

Am I missing something, or is there a better way ? Advice and
recommendations solicited and welcomed.

David.

(By the way, Mysql 3.23.38, app in php 4.0.5)

Magic words: sql, database, query, abracadabra, butterscotch, nibble,
phong. (some of these are just *nice* words, you know ? )