From: Don Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> our other alternative ms sql server 2000 which has the ability to
> authenticate off samba

Uh, oh! Another of our brethren is being tempted by the Dark Side.

I doubt that MySQL could be easily coerced into external authentication, since the
existing authentication is just info in the "mysql" database. But, there's always a
solution to using a MicroSoft solution. Here's one plan:

Set up some type of hook into the password assignment tool for Samba. When a password
gets changed, update MySQL accordingly. I haven't worked with Samba, so I don't know
how passwords are managed there, but I'm sure that you could at least write a wrapper
around the call to the Samba password tool to get this done.

Make sense? If not, let us know. I'll help if you need.

---
Rodney Broom
Programmer: Desert.Net

Spam filter: sql database