Tod Harter writes:

> What would be the performance considerations? Considering it theoretically if
> I (for instance) set things up so that I had an ftp server for the images and
> stored filenames in a column then as far as raw data transfer efficiency its
> tcp either way. I guess the question becomes one of how does the database
> deal with blobs internally? Given that the data is images its essentially
> opaque data to the RDBMS (ie there would never be any reason to search the
> blob columns themselves, just recover them based on searches of other
>
> I guess the other related question with indexes is how big a deal is it to
> have such huge indexes? In a practical sense its one data set, so I really
> would like to have indexes covering the whole thing. The number of records
> runs up into the low millions. Queries will need to be done on maybe up to 4
> or 5 columns in that data set. Can I expect a query like that to complete in
> a time frame of under 1 minute? What kind of hardware would be recommended to
> get that sort of performance? We will be building out the entire system, so
> essentially its up to us to define that. I'd considered something in the
> order of a top of the line dual processor Pentium 4 class system with a
> couple of SAN boxes and fibre channel. I expect its no challenge to throw a
> few gigs of ram at it, but naturally there is NO way to put enough ram in a
> box to even come close to holding complete indexes...

Hi!

You should go by  the book.

Normalize schema, optimise queries, tune MySQL etc ..

Choose right hardware, system software etc ...

You can expect it to complete in a second if you have followed the
above guidelines.

--

Consider taking our support. Visit https://order.mysql.com

Regards,
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Mr. Sinisa Milivojevic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   MySQL AB, Fulltime Developer
       <___/   www.mysql.com