The boxes running the MySQL were isolated from other users so there was no
activity on them while I was performing the benchmark tests.
 There was no tuning - I just installed the MySQL from their binary
packages, that is I was using the default config files (hoping that they are
the same - I will check that now).

 One of the tests was done locally on the Solaris box (Ultra 5) giving
almost the same result - around 1 min 25 secs. Just a small improvement over
the TCP/IP connection.

 I suppose that the next step is to get the config file to something that
will give me better performance on the Solaris box, but as I said there was
nothing changed in the configuration of the MySQL. I just used the default
configuration setup.

        _____________________________

Nesh,

>  With all of the benchmark test I have used the same DB structure,
> same TABLE structure, and finally same iterations.
>
>  This probably means that Solaris I/O is really poor, or there is some
> other explanation (like changing some kernel parameters to get Solaris
> working well with DB kind of stuff).
>
>  At the moment I am trying to find out exactly what is the problem. It
> should not be MySQL itself because the first 2 boxes have different
> results from the last 2 boxes. This leads me to the conclusion that
> Solaris is doing something weird with the I/O. Unfortunately, I do not
> have Solaris 8 to test MySQL in that environment.
>
>  Note that all the boxes are running the same MySQL version so that
> could not be the problem (3.23.47).

Interesting statistics!

What else were the m/user, m/tasking OpSys doing at the time? How much
'tuning' of the configs/dbs had taken place in each case? Can you compare
the results without the 'I/O', by using native-MySQL on each server,
locally?

Regards,
=dn