Paul,

> > >  I want to dump the contents of one table in to another table
> > >  which has the same structure in MySQL, with just one column type changed
> > >  from VARCHAR to TEXT. Whats the best way to do this?
> >
> > Would INSERT...SELECT suit you?
>
> Yes, but it's a big table. Is there a way to do this nicely? ie, something
> like
>
> SELECT * from <table1> | INSERT - INTO <table2>

=I'm sorry I don't understand "nicely" (but see below) - you can do a SELECT INTO
OUTFILE, if you prefer to do
it in two steps.

> I was considerign using mysqldump, but I only want to reload one table in
> a database, and I'm not sure the mysqldump syntax for specific tables.

If you are not happy/familiar with native SQL or the MySQL tools, then I recommend an
SQL admin/mgmt package
like MySQL-Front (www.mysql-front.de IIRC) which will allow you to do/see things in
'prototype' mode, ie 'I want
to see it as it happens...'. It also features an export facility (tbl defns and/or tbl
contents - into 'dump
format') which I use ALL the time.

Regards,
=dn