Hi James,
   Many of the questions on this list are answered by people like
myself who are users of MySQL.  We are busy trying to run our own
servers and put food on the table.  That being said,  you are
wondering why your question did not get an answer, it may be the
length of the message and the not-very-specific question.

My guess is this one will get more answers as you asked 'where can I
find the resources to help myself'.  I would recommend starting with a
good sysadmin book (there are many) such as:
Unix System Administration Handbook,  Prentice Hall

This will help you manage system resources.  Futhurmore on MySQL, the
manual is an excellent source of information.  Have you read all the
information about tunable parameters in the manual?  There is lots of
it.  Then when you have a specific question post it here. Addntl books
on MySQL:
MySQL by Paul Dubois from New Riders is a standard
Core MySQL by Leon Atkinson Prentice Hall (Just out this  year) and
excellent resource and goes beyond Paul's book but and it is newer
(despite the numerous spelling errors in the examples and the text).

Also there are web resources:
http://www.mysql.com/portal/books
http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/index.phtml/fid/52/

Articles on MySQL in the portal section of the web site:
http://www.mysql.com/portal/development/html/development-61-1.html

Also one last point,  time is money.  If you are using MySQL in a
commercial venture purchasing a support contract would be wise.  They
will help (at anything but the most basic level) to tune your system
and the higher levels they will do it for you!

The MySQL support contract is by far the best money I have ever spent
on software!

Best of luck and I hope this helped,
Ken