Dear MySQL users,

I have just pushed my latest changes in the replication code in our 4.0
development tree, which change the slave to use two threads - I/O thread that
gets the data from the master and logs it, and SQL thread which processes the
logged data. I have tested it extensively, and it has passed all of my tests.
However, as we all know, field testing tends to find nasty bugs that have not
been caught in regression tests and visual code examination.

So I need your help with field testing of my code. For those of you who are
wondering why you should - this will help us stabilize 4.0 a lot of faster,
and not only replication, but also the general SQL features. So if you depend
on MySQL for your mission-critical applications, helping us test our alpha is
directly in your best interest, and is worth the hassle.

Testing the new code is relatively easy, and does not require risking the
stability of your application by running alpha code. Here is what you need to
do:

 * Find a machine that will act as a test server. With the availablity of
Linux and FreeBSD, this can be done cost-effectively by sacrificing some
useless dust-gathering PC in your office. In some case, you may even try it
with your own desktop.

 * If you want to do it this very moment, read the instructions at
   http://www.mysql.com/doc/I/n/Installing_source_tree.html and install a
pre-release 4.0.2 MySQL on your test server. You may also wait until 4.0.2 is
released, but in that case, replication in 4.0.2 may have a bug you could
have caught on your system and it will not be fixed until 4.0.3.

 * Follow instructions at http://www.mysql.com/doc/R/e/Replication_HOWTO.html
and set up the test server as a slave of one of your production machines. Add
log-slave-updates and log-bin to your slave configuration for easier
troublshooting. The master can be either  3.23.33+ or 4.0.2

 * Monitor your slave to make sure it does not crash ( watch error log for
stack trace messages), slave keeps running ( check with SHOW SLAVE STATUS),
and data is consistent.

 * If there are problems, I will need the following:

   - error logs on the master and on the slave
   - binary logs on the master, binary logs on the slave, and relay logs on
the slave ( by default, placed in datadir and called `hostname`-relay-bin.* )
   - output of SHOW SLAVE STATUS
   - version of the master

Please send all follow-up mails to [EMAIL PROTECTED] and do not forget to CC to
one of the lists, depending on the nature of the message. A bug report with
precise instructions on how we can repeat it should be CC'ed to
[EMAIL PROTECTED], patches and comments on the source code should be CC'ed
to [EMAIL PROTECTED], and everything else should be CC'ed to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please do not send personal mails without CC'ing them to a list - three
reasons: a) I may not be the best person to answer, b) somebody else can get
around to answering it sooner, and c) others may want to participate in the
discussion.

Overall, it is generally a good idea to avoid personal-only mails to MySQL
employees unless you have a strictly personal question, of course. If you are
talking about MySQL, you may send it to the person you think would be the
best to answer your mail, but always make sure to CC to some general alias so
that others can follow the discussion.

--
MySQL Development Team
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/