If you set the interactive_timeout to infinite then no clients will get
disconnected until the server is restarted. I know the perl DBI allows for a
client to implement ping ($dbh->ping) ... this will reset the timeout for
that particular client, allow the client to check for connectivity, without
having to make ever client connect forever!!. I'm sure the JDBC driver will
allow for this.

Regards,
Dan