Dan,

Thanks for your response.
I see what you're saying.
However, in our case, the only 'clients' connecting to the MySQL server are
software modules, no humans.  Well actually, humans too, but only through our
software modules.
So no clients getting disconnected until the server is restarted is what we
want.
Some of them, in this case our system logger, may have long periods of
inactivity (ie, overnight, more than 8 hours, no logs to store in the database,
so no activity on that client connection).
So... if there is a way to set the interactive_timeout to infinite, that would
be most handy.

Regards,
Becky

Daniel Rosher wrote:

> If you set the interactive_timeout to infinite then no clients will get
> disconnected until the server is restarted. I know the perl DBI allows for a
> client to implement ping ($dbh->ping) ... this will reset the timeout for
> that particular client, allow the client to check for connectivity, without
> having to make ever client connect forever!!. I'm sure the JDBC driver will
> allow for this.
>
> Regards,
> Dan

Becky McElroy