How does one go about removing one of two identical records in a MySQL
database?  My mistake in an earlier database was not applying a unique
number to each record (1, 2, 3, ---).  I know it's possible to use the
DISTINCT operator to show only one of the identical records in a result,
but that does not remove one of them from the database.

One thought that I had would be to add a unique number to each record,
and that could probably be done manually, one record at a time, but is
there a way to automate the process so that unique numbers could be
assigned with one command?

TIA

Rich

--