On Fri, 2002-02-08 at 11:11, Steve Rapaport wrote:
> I said:
> > > Why is it that Altavista can index terabytes overnight and return
> > > a fulltext boolean for the WHOLE WEB
> > > within a second, and Mysql takes so long?
>
> On Friday 08 February 2002 08:56, Vincent Stoessel wrote:
>
> > Apples and oranges.
>
> Yeah, I know.  But let's see if we can make some distinctions.
> If, say, Google, can search 2 trillion web pages, averaging say 70k bytes
> each, in 1 second, and Mysql can search 22 million records, with an index
> on 40 bytes each, in 3 seconds (my experience) on a good day,
> what's the order of magnitude difference?  Roughly 10^9.
>
> > Have you seen the /hardware/ run that enterprise with?
> Irrelevant, you're unlikely to get 9 orders of magnitude difference with
> faster hardware or even with clustering.

Actually not since Google runs on 10000 of machines. And if you search
for a while you will notice that you will get different answers (at
least I have had troubles with this).

Also I have used google to track occurrences of certain words over time.
And according to google some words (with millions of occurrences)
changed with about 40% in a week. So they simple provide approximate
answers while MySQL has to provide exact answers.

So the standard answer with Apples and Oranges certainly apply here!

/David