David Axmark writes:

> So the standard answer with Apples and Oranges certainly apply here!

More like Äpplen och Apelsiner, that is, different but similar.  You Swedish
guys should know.  Thanks for answering, David, I appreciate the attention
from a founder.

I also appreciate your point that Google is updating continuously and
therefore not always caught up to the current state of the web.
But isn't that a problem with indexing speed, not with search speed?
Their search speed is still amazing, as is Altavista, and most of the
other engines.

Your other point about exact vs. approximate answers is unclear, I expect
that Google's answers are exact for their currently available indexes at any
given time.  But even if they are approximate, I'd be happy with that too.
The scoring on a FULLTEXT search in Mysql is "exact" but based on a
formula that is approximate anyway.

I'll summarize this thread best I can.

>From the math I used, we started with my estimate of 10^9,
which was mistaken.  The real figure was 10^6, that is, Google
searches fulltext about a million times faster than Mysql.
Then we used Google's 10000 machines +DRAM indexing to reduce the
gap to 10^2, or 100 times faster.

It turns out that 100 times is about the factor that is causing
my application problems.  If it just ran 100 times faster it would be
about as fast as a regular indexed search, and I'd
be happy.

A few people suggested that Mysql shouldn't try to be faster,
I (and some high-support customers like Mike Wexler) disagreed.
And Alex Aulbach, bless him, actually did his homework and showed that
things could be much improved with smart index techniques like
inverted files.

Then Sergei Golubchik wrote back to say he had taken some of the good ideas
and inserted them into the TODO list, although he had higher priorities
at the time.

And I was satisfied for now, although my application still isn't working
satisfactorily due to a really slow and CPU-hungry FULLTEXT search.

I think that's our story so far.

Steve Rapaport
Director, Technical Services
A-Tono