Eric,

for InnoDB 'dynamic rows', that is, rows where you define char columns as
VARCHAR, are faster because tables and indexes fit in smaller space.

Only in some rare cases where you want to avoid fragmentation caused by
updates which change a column length, a fixed-length CHAR(...) column can be
a better option.

I guess also for MyISAM dynamic rows are usually faster, because you win in
smaller disk i/o.

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
---
InnoDB - transactions, row level locking, and foreign key support for MySQL
See http://www.innodb.com, download MySQL-Max from http://www.mysql.com