On Friday 08 February 2002 08:56, Vincent Stoessel wrote:

> Apples and oranges.

Yeah, I know.  But let's see if we can make some distinctions.
If, say, Google, can search 2 trillion web pages, averaging say 70k bytes
each, in 1 second, and Mysql can search 22 million records, with an index
on 40 bytes each, in 3 seconds (my experience) on a good day,
what's the order of magnitude difference?  Roughly 10^9.

> Have you seen the /hardware/ run that enterprise with?
Irrelevant, you're unlikely to get 9 orders of magnitude difference with
faster hardware or even with clustering.

> Also, their software is optimized for full text searches and that
> is /all/ they do. Mysql is an SQL database and is optimized as such.

Absolutely granted. You are completely right.
And I don't expect the data format to change.

 BUT:  thought experiment:

When Mysql decides to generate a FULLTEXT index, it
is using an index file, the .MYI file, which can have ANY FORMAT
it wants to.  If the .MYI format is poorly optimized for fulltext
searches, they can improve the format.  They can even introduce
a new index file type .MYF solely for optimizing fulltext searches.

None of this need have any impact on the data file format or the
SQL search optimizations, and yet it could still improve the search
speed for fulltext.  It might not help as much for the slow indexing,
but it could certainly improve the performance of the search.

Thinking out loud...
Steve