Wednesday, from Mike Wexler:
> I don't think that would be appropriate. My example, is our site (tias.com) has
> lots of antiques and collectibles. One popular categories is jewelry. If
> somebody does a search for "gold jewelry" and the search engine interprets this
> as anything that mentions gold or jewelry. It is going to match a lot of items.
> It would be nice if we could use explain or something like it to get a rough
> estimate of how many results a query would generate, and if it was really bad,
> we could tell the user to be more specific.

This is not a solution, but we make it by using the sql query

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table WHERE MATCH(index) AGAINST ('gold')
(results e.g. in 100)

and

SELECT COUNT(*) FROM table WHERE MATCH(index) AGAINST ('jewelry')
(results e.g. in 200)

OR-Search: The result is between 300 and 500 matches.
AND-Search: The result is between 0 and 200 matches.

The problem is: The queries lasts nearly as fast, as the complete search.
:)

--

SSilk - Alexander Aulbach - Herbipolis/Frankonia Minoris