Greetings,

How do I get the rows in a table to be in a different
order? I know I can sort a SELECT statement with an
ORDER BY clause, but how do I make this a permanent
adjustment to the table, so that all future SELECTs
will produce ordered data? How does MySQL know what
orders the rows are in (how are they actually stored),
and how can I change that?

Here's what's happening: say I have a table with an ID
field like this:

ID
--
1
2

Then I delete a few rows:

ID
--
1
2

Now, if I insert new rows, they come out like this:

ID
--
1
2

How do I get the table so that the inherent order of
the rows (not just the output of a SELECT query with
an ORDER BY) is numerical?

-b

=====