At 03:26 PM 2/14/2002 , you wrote:
>What Rick said is absolutely correct and you probably are obsessing about
>something that doesn't matter.  But I would venture you are using an
>auto-number field as the primary key when you could easily change it to a
>function something similar to:  set ID = MAX(ID) + 1.

Keith,
          I agree with what everyone is saying. But for display purposes,
it would be nice if MySQL could display a row# for the result set.  This
could be used to display a line# at the start of each row, like "Select
count, col1, col2 from table1 where ..." and the running count would show

Count   Col1   Col2
      1         ABC   DEF
      2        GHI      KLM

It would act as sort of a line item# for display purposes only. As everyone
mentioned, it doesn't make any sense to store this number in the table. But
it might come in handy for display purposes.

Brent