From: Colin Faber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> With the up and coming libmysqld library this should be possible;

"libmysqld"? Sounds interesting, do you have an URL?

> Though I don't really see any advantages to this given the front end
> interface we have now (DBD::mysql) works like a charm.

As a quick example, I want to be able to define my own datatypes inside the DB. I
might do something like storing an image and a bunch of metadata about that image in a
single blob() vi Storable::freeze(). Then provide some Perl code plugged into the DB
that lets me look at the data inside of blob()s in order to query over images at the
SQL level. At this point, I can access the DB from any interface I like: JDBC,
DBD::mysql, the mysql client, etc.

> Regarding procedures, This is something that should be handled by the
> rdbms it self and not your middleware.

Yep, you're right, but I'm not after middle-ware. I'm after a hook into the RDBMS
itself.

---
Rodney Broom
Programmer: Desert.Net