the libmysqld api is part of the 4.x development branch at the moment,
I suggest checking that out.

If you're interested in the development branch I suggest hopping on to
the internals list.

Rodney Broom wrote:

> From: Colin Faber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > With the up and coming libmysqld library this should be possible;
>
> "libmysqld"? Sounds interesting, do you have an URL?
>
> > Though I don't really see any advantages to this given the front end
> > interface we have now (DBD::mysql) works like a charm.
>
> As a quick example, I want to be able to define my own datatypes inside the DB. I
>might do something like storing an image and a bunch of metadata about that image in
>a single blob() vi Storable::freeze(). Then provide some Perl code plugged into the
>DB that lets me look at the data inside of blob()s in order to query over images at
>the SQL level. At this point, I can access the DB from any interface I like: JDBC,
>DBD::mysql, the mysql client, etc.
>
> > Regarding procedures, This is something that should be handled by the
> > rdbms it self and not your middleware.
>
> Yep, you're right, but I'm not after middle-ware. I'm after a hook into the RDBMS
>itself.

The problem with this, Is if you're not going through the primary engine
managing the data it self you run into all sorts of ugly issues with
dead
locks.

> ---
> Rodney Broom