On Monday, February 18, 2002, at 11:26  PM, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:

> So, if you want to use data from a MySQL database and transfer it via
> XML and the other way around (i.e. XML as an transport layer for
> relational data), I see no particular problem for you to write a
> client that accomplishes that. But that doesn't touch major
> possibilities of XML.
>
> If you want to take data from XML documents and store them within
> MySQL, I see no way how that can be done reasonably.

I see.  I had not considered how more complex (and more tree-like) XML
documents would be handled by the RDBMS.  I was thinking about my
particular application, which is actually very simple, and would rely
only on a single table (each column of the table would contain the
content of a separate element in the XML file).  But now that I think
about it, this is much more simple than some XML files will end up
being, given their hierarchical structure.

So perhaps it's fine for my basic purposes, but not the best solution
for complex XML documents.

> IIRC, the thread you cite was so long, because some (one?) of the
> people partiating did not know what they were talking, but kept
> insisting on their point. But I did not have a second look, so I am
> not sure if I am mis-remembering.

Yes, there was a lot of back-and-forthing.

Thanks,
Erik

----

Erik Price