On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 11:38:31AM +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> sql,query
The above is for antispam filter.

I have a need for an interval data type. It would contain start and end
of a certain time event. Since it is not possible to have two different
events at the same place and at the same time, I want to ensure that
there cannot exist two entries for which time interval would overlap
with another entry's interval.

I've done a simple routine in PHP which cheks if there is an overlaping
entry in database and it inserts new entry only if it's 'safe'.
Obviously, there is a problem if there are two entries, let's call them
A and B, and A entry is made after B has done the checking but before B
has made a new record.

Any sugestions? Even sugestions for another free open source db would
do. Sorry for my broken english. Thanks.