Had a similar problem a few years back.  System worked fine for a number
of months then started crashing whenever I recompiled the kernel.  Turned
out to be a defective secondary cache (yes it was a Pentium and yes it
was a number of years ago).  Showed up only under heavy cpu load.  Try
stressing the box. Good luck

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Sundara Pandian wrote:

> Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 10:33:02 +0530
> From: Sundara Pandian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: SplitSlim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: Please, need help urgently
>
> Hi,
> It would be time consuming to understand why the server crashed and then
> repair the server, as u say it is a mission crtical one , the quickest way
> to get it up and running would be to back up the database (copy the ur
> database directory completely under the data directory) reinstall MySQL
> cleanly and get the DB back in action again.Also make sure u've got a
> 'release' build of MySQL, I got the following info from a site hope that
> helps..
>
> Signal 11 Description :
> Signal 11, or officially know as "segmentation fault", means that the
> program accessed a memory location that was not assigned. That's usually a
> bug in the program. So if you're writing your own program, that's the most
> likely cause. However, this FAQ will concentrate on the possibilities
> besides that.
> The cause can be software or (most likely) hardware for a Signal 11 crash.
> Read on to find out more. (*) Of course nothing is Linux specific. If your
> hardware is flaky, Linux, Windows 3.1, FreeBSD, Windows NT and NextStep will
> all crash.  If you are not reading this at http://www.BitWizard.nl/sig11/,
> that's where you can find the most recent version.
>
> cheers,
> Sundara Pandian,
> Megasoft Ltd,
> India.

Sincerely,

William Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
CyberStrategies, Inc
ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27