Hiya forum..

I have my site powered by MySQL server running on  FreeBSD.
The site is facing problems when the traffic increases.Database connectivity
is through JDBC.My poolman is managing the
database connections with 30 connections set, and is growable.People have
started getting error when the rush increases...

Error : Communication failure : Bad Handshake.
          Is there a MySQL server running on the port ............
          connectivity error.

I suspect the max_connection variable which is default set to 100 reaches
and the server refuses further connection.We have probed for any unused
database connections hold by the Java.But we have religiously returned the
connection back to the poolmanager after its used...

I am running my development MySQL server on windows NT. Having gone thru the
MySQL manual..for performance tuning the server,we came across many
variables which can affect the server performance.

So i issue the following commands:

c:\> cd mysql\bin

start the server    c:\>mysqld
set the variable    c:\>mysqld -O back_log=200 --help

Looks like it updates the server..but when i see it thru the WinMySQLAdmin
,after restarting the server again ,it does not reflect there and displays
the default settings.

We have a production server running....Can any experienced people guide me
how to update this server variable onto my remote server.

Thanx.

Vijay Khanna
System Analyst
www.spsoftware.com