I'm performing a query on 2 tables:

mysql> SELECT log.id, SUM (log.hours), empnum.lname
> FROM log, empnum
> WHERE log.id = '26009'
> AND log.id=empnum.id
> GROUP BY hours;
Empty set (0.01 sec)

The log table contains id numbers (plus a bunch of other data) but no
corresponding names.  The name are all stored in the empnum table.  The
problem is, there are instances where the id exists in the log table but not
in the empnum table.  In this case, MySQL returns and empty set.

My question is: how can I still get MySQL to return all the info from the
log table when it doesn't find a corresponding id entry in the empnum table?
Can I use an "if" statement somehow?

Here's a query of the same id number but performed on just the log table (to
prove that there is an id entry in the log table but not the empnum table):

mysql> SELECT log.id, SUM (log.hours) FROM log WHERE log.id = '26009' GROUP
BY id;
+-------+----------------+
| id       |  sum(log.hours) |
+-------+----------------+
| 26009 |               619.0 |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or
confidential information. It is solely for use by the individual for whom
it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly. If you received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute, or
take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete
it from your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited. Thank you
for your compliance.