Starting about 2 weeks ago I started having problems with my databases
disappearing.  mysqld is still running and can be shutdown via
mysqladmin and such.  But "mysql -ppassword -u root mysql" will produce
a message similar to "Unable to find database 'mysql'", and this goes
for all of the databases.  A mysqladmin shutdown and restarting will
bring back to life.

The first two times this happened it was under heavy load of greater
then 3k queries per second, so I temporarly disabled that process.  And
then it died once again under a light load of about 800 queries per
second.  It had been running 3.23.33 for about 6 months without any
problems.  I then upgraded to 3.23.49 and the first week was fine.  But
it is still happening, sometimes more then once per day.

This database is the backend to a production web server.  It has two
slaves replicating from it, one is for backup and testing and the other
is a web mirror of the site.  It also is a replication slave from
another server for emergency backup.  The web server is apache 1.3.23
and PHP 4.1.2.  The OS is FreeBSD 4.5-p1.  It was upgraded to 4.5 after
the inital problems, I am prety sure.

I have turned on logging and nothing is visible in the log file.  It
goes from Connect, Init DB, Query, Quit to just Connect, Quit.  The last
commands that were successful are common commands and aren't the same
each time.  There is nothing in the .err file nor in the system log
file.

This has become a serious issue.  Has anyone seen something similar?
Any thought on how to track this down?

Thanks, Jim

--
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .