Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:47:40 -0500 (EST)
From: Lester Hightower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help with UDFs, compress_gz(string,<level>) uncompress_gz(string)

On December 18, 2001 I emailed [EMAIL PROTECTED] regarding a pair of
user defined functions, compress_gz() and uncompress_gz() that I wrote.
That email indicated that, after a few days of testing and cleaning up the
code, that I would contribute it.

During said testing I discovered that the code is not thread-safe.  The
code works perfectly as long as it is only used by one thread; it reliably
fails, and takes the mysqld with it, if used by >1 threads concurrently.

I must first admit that I do very little C programming now-a-days, and
even far less multi-threaded programming.  That being the case, I am
afraid that I am ill-equipped to debug this code, at least not in a timely
enough fashion to allow me to ever actually get it done...

My suspicion is that my problem might be in zlib.  The zlib docs say that
it is thread-safe, so maybe I am compiling it incorrectly.  I asked a
friend, who felt absolutely positive that he had a thread-safe zlib, to
try this code.  His results differed from mine -- the mysqld did not
crash, but he produced dramatic table corruption.

This code is just not that complex, and it surprises me that it has been
such a pain.  I really need this functionality and hope that maybe someone
else on this list, with more experience in this area, either could use
this functionality also (and can spend some time finding the problem), or
can just look at the code for a minute and, by experience, just see the
problem. ...and please email a patch to me!  :)

The code is attached as an Unix ASCII text file, mysqld_udf_zlib.cc.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to help.

Sincerely,

--
Lester Hightower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>