At 9:52 -0800 3/5/02, Sam Iam wrote:
>  >> Is there some way that I can avoid doing an ORDER BY and get my
>  >> rows back ordered by album_id, rank they way I inserted them ?
>
>  >No.  That is the nature of relational databases.
>
>Is this because the index cache in ram may not be loaded in order ?

No, it's because relational engines consider a bunch of rows as a set,
and "order" is not a property that sets have.  Thus, such engines make no
guarantee about the order in which they'll return a set, unless you
specify an ORDER BY clause to provide sorting instructions.

>  > You might want to consider adding an AUTO_INCREMENT column, then inserting
>  >in the order you want them back.  Then you can retrieve in that
>order by using
>  >an ORDER BY on the AUTO_INCREMENT column.
>
>My "rank" column is the order that I want them back in.

Then use it for sorting.  Won't that give you the result you want?

>Would you agree that sorting small row sets on the client with say
>PHP is more efficient than asking a busy MySQL server with many
>clients to do ORDER BY so that FILESORT or TEMPORARY can be avoided ?

That's subject to empirical test. :-)

In general, the MySQL server's built to be able to sort efficiently, so
you may as well let it do the sorting.  Sorting "on the client" may not
gain you anything if the web server and the MySQL server are both running
on the same host, which is common.  In that case, the work's all being done
on the same machine anyway?

>thanks,
>
>- Sam.
>
>PS : I bought your book by the way. Great read.

Thanks.  Which book?  The doorstop, or the MySQL/Perl book?