d> Ok people, I'm desperate for the help.  I'm going to try to be as detailed
d> as possible, because I need the two year old explanation.  I recently
d> installed MySQL on my Cobalt Raq3.  I was running fine, created a db, table
d> created a user, gave some permissions, and thought I was rolling along.
d> Somewhere in setting the permissions and using safe_mysql I messed something
d> up.  I am now getting an Error 2002 can't connect to local Mysql through
d> socket var/lib/mysql/mysql.socket.  I don't know much about the socket file,
d> so if that has something to do with the problem, I'll need a brief
d> explanation.  Can someone PLEASE HELP because I'm desperate to get this
d> fixed yesterday.

dlyles, as I answered you 2 days ago:

     If your MySQL server is running then you should check location of
     the socket file and check the socket path in your my.cnf file.

     Check your privileges on the socket file and on the dir that
     contains socket file.

     You can find the description of this error at:
            http://www.mysql.com/doc/C/a/Can_not_connect_to_server.html

d> Thank you.

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov