I use the my.cnf file to direct MYSQL to look into different folders
for the data files, you may not need to do that.

When you say Services, you do mean a Service on NT, right?

MYSQL does not automatically add the service, you need to install it
as a service manually after the normal installation of MYSQL has been
performed.

Once you do that it will appear in the normal Services area of
Administrative tools in Windows XP.

To install it, go into the mysql/bin directory and try something like

mysqld-nt --install
(or mysqld-max-nt --install)

Once you do this command it will add the service.

Good luck!

I am running on Windows XP professional by the way, cannot confirm
whether it is a problem under the the home edition.

Cheers

Tim

> Hi, I'll try that. Re:
>
> "Make sure you configure the my.cnf file and place it in the c:\
directory
> as appropriate."
>
> Can you expand on this please?
>
> Re starting it from 'Services'..have you done this from XP? I opened
the
> services window and studied it for some time but could find no
reference to
> MySQL! There appeared to be two service tabs at the bottom of the
window -
> standard and advanced as I recall (both looked identical!) - and I
couldn't
> find a MySQL server service (if a reboot is all that is needed then
this
> doesn't matter).
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul.
>

> Hi Paul,
>
> I am running it under XP without any problem.
>
> You need to go into the mysql 'bin' directory and install the service
> (as you would have done under win2K).
>
> e.g. to install mysqld-nt as a service do this from the command line.
>
> mysqld-nt --install
>
> Then either reboot (and the service will start automatically) or go
> into Services and start it manually.
>
> Make sure you configure the my.cnf file and place it in the c:\
> directory as appropriate.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Cheers
>

> Tim
>

> > Hello,
> >      This post pertaining to a previous one on the same subject.
> That  is I
> > cannot get MySQL to run on Win XP! I get the "ERROR  2003:  can't
> connect to
> > MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)" when running  mysql  from
> c:\mysql\bin
> > in the command prompt. I have looked for the MySQL service to run
it
> > manually to ensure it is running,  but there is no service to run.
> Like
> > other entries to the list,  I have it running on 2K with no
problem.
> But on
> > XP  - no joy.
> >
> > All advice gratefully received.