Hi,

I have two tables:

  languages:
    id         tinyint(3) unsigned not null,
    language   varchar(30) not null

  language_pairs:
    from       tinyint(3) unsigned not null,
    to         tinyint(3) unsigned not null

language_pairs.from and language_pairs.to are linked with languages.id

(both tables are simplified in this mail and contains a lot more
columns, but they are not relevant)

Now I want to do a query giving me the names of the languages
(languages.language) instead of language_pairs.from og .to.

I can only see a solution requiring the use of sub-selects which MySQL
doesn't (yet :) has support for.
Anyone smarter than me who can see a solution?

I want to avoid use of sub-queries if possible, and my emergency plan is
to extract all records from `languages` into an array in PHP and simply
use PHP to join .from and .to with the matching language. That's not in
any way optimal, that's why I'm asking you guys :)

regards,

//andreas
http://phpwizard.dk (in Danish only)